(Class of '72) Patricia Kirkpatrick - Reverend & Professor
Patricia Kirkpatrick, BA, MTh, DPhil, DD, is best known at The Study for her role in leading The Study's Annual Service of Thanksgiving that takes place in June each year. Patricia recalls fondly that at The Study I was so very fortunate that my classmates all had a sense of fair play that developed into a generosity that simply would not leave anyone behind.
We were always encouraged to work as a team, and somehow our teachers managed that very skillful combination of allowing for individual creativity whilst channeling it into group thinking skills."
Following a path to her twin vocations of teaching and ministry, both of which, said Patricia, chose me, and fortunately suited my temperment," she has developed a clear concept of leadership.
I am interested in the values of fairness, hospitality, generosity, truthfulness and honesty and above all forgiveness. These are not skills but they are essential if our girls are going to be able to lead the next generation with visions of creative insight for society's well being. What does leadership matter if the underlying value structures of what makes the child act are flawed?"
Currently Professor of Hebrew Bible and Old Testament Studies, as well as the Graduate Programs Director and Chair of Graduate Programs and Policies at McGill University's Faculty of Religious Studies, Patricia's extensive academic and theological accomplishments include:
- 1984 D.Phil. University of Oxford, England
- 1980 M.Th. (with Distinction), University of London, England
- 1977-1978 Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- 1977 B.A. Honors in Religious Studies, McGill University
- 1976 Hebrew University Summer School language course in Modern
- Hebrew, Jerusalem
- 1975-1977 Montreal Diocesan Theological College, Associate member,
- Ordination stream
Honors / Awards
- 2008, D.D. (H.C.), The Montreal Diocesan Theological College
- 1988, M.Th. University award of Distinction, University of London